Befriending Officer [JOB]
b:friend (registered charity number: 1171148) pairs volunteer befrienders with socially isolated older neighbours by visiting once a week for a cuppa and a chat. We aim to reduce loneliness among older members of the community and have an impact on secondary outcomes of isolation including onset of dementia, depression and hospital readmission.
Along with 1:1 befriending, b:friend host weekly Social Club sessions in areas offering peer support and group activities for the community. Activities vary from dance and guest speakers, to craft sessions, to quizzes and games – all with the intention of engaging older neighbours who face social isolation.
This position is thanks to funding from National Lottery players.
The Befriending Officer position is a crucial role within the charity and will be at the centre of the charity’s growth across South Yorkshire. Based in Doncaster, this post will lead the delivery of our unique 1:1 and group befriending project across new geographic areas and be the point-of-contact for many volunteers, funders and stakeholders.
It’s a big ask. The job requires creativity, perseverance, patience, leadership, resilience and positivity. We’re looking for someone that can engage a group, provide instructions in a friendly way, bring people together and facilitate conversations and relationships between people who do not often interact with others.
We need someone who understands the demographics and social challenges of South Yorkshire – in particular someone passionate about, and able to articulate, our vision for building close community networks in order to tackle isolation and loneliness.
The successful candidate will also support the delivery of an innovative digital project, coordinate advancements in volunteer recruitment networks and assist management with the strategic growth of the b:friend model.
The successful candidate will:
- Lead on pairing volunteer befrienders with isolated older neighbours
- Deliver creative and engaging Social Club sessions each week
- Manage day-to-day relationships with key local and regional stakeholders
- Deliver statistical and anecdotal reports on the performance of the project
- Support the strategic growth of the charity including diversifying income generation
- Administer registers and records which track attendance, interactions, relationships and group activities along with demographic data
- Support with community fundraising to help reach charity’s income generation targets
- To perform outreach in the community (online and offline) allowing b:friend to reach individuals most needing befriending support.
- Outreach (both on and offline) to identify individuals that could benefit from our project
Job role: Befriending Officer (contract until March 2021)
Location: Doncaster – working across South Yorkshire
Salary: £21,600 – 23,000 pa (plus mileage allowance) based on 37.5 hours. Holiday entitlement is 28 annual leave days inclusive of Bank Holidays and 2% pension contribution.
Application deadline: Monday 18th March 2019 at 12pm GMT (midday)
Interviews: w/c Monday 25th March 2019
How to apply:
To apply for this role please email firstname.lastname@example.org quoting job reference BO2019TNL.
Please submit your CV and a cover letter explaining your strengths and motivation for applying for this position.